Getting Married

Getting Married in Australia

The marriageable age in Australia is 18 years, as of 1 August 1991. If the person is under 18 years of age, a court order must be obtained.

Intending couples must complete and lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form, along with the relevant documents to the Marriage Celebrant at least 1 month and 1 day prior to your wedding day.

For an exemption, you will need to apply and obtain approval from the Prescribed Authority. If required, I am able to assist you with completing this application.


The following documents are required from both the Bride and Groom.

  • Age - If born in Australia, a full Australian Birth Certificate must be provided. If this is not available, a Statutory Declaration must be made. For individuals born outside of Australia, a foreign birth certificate or a valid overseas passport must be provided.
  • Previous Marriage (s) - If you have been married on a previous occasion, you must provide evidence of the termination of said prior marriage.

-If divorced, provide a Certificate of Decree Absolute.
-If widowed, provide a full Death Certificate.

Please ensure all foreign documents are translated into English by an authorised interpreter. Photocopies are not acceptable.



The notice can be signed in the presence of any of the following people:

  •   If signed in Australia: An authorised celebrant, a justice of peace, a barrister or solicitor, a legally qualified medical practitioner, a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, or a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or Territory.
  •  If signed outside Australia: An Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular Officer, an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3 (c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955 or a notary public.

Once completed and signed, please fax a copy (or email a scanned copy) to us, no later than 1 month and 1 day before the wedding date, then mail the original by Registered post.


On your wedding day, you will need two witnesses of who are over 18 years of age. These witnesses will sign the Marriage Register and the Marriage Certificates with the Bride, Groom and the Marriage Celebrant following the ceremony.


It is my responsibility to register your marriage within 14 days from your wedding day; however my turnaround time to register the married couple is 1-2 days. Once your marriage has been registered, you will be given a Marriage Registration Number provided by the NSW Registry of Birth, Death and Marriages.

For Immigration, the Immigration Department only accept the Marriage Certificate issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, hence following your marriage registration, you may apply for the Marriage Certificate either in person or by sending the Application For A Marriage Certificate by post.


You may apply with the NSW Registry of Birth, Death & Marriages to obtain a Single Status Certificate. This certificate will certify whether you have been married in NSW within a specified period. For more information, please refer to the NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages website.

For more Information, Please contact the Australian Government Attorney General's Department, or please contact Maria Directly.

Copyright © 2013 Maria Nguyen - MN Marriage Celebrant - Vietnamese Marriage Celebrant Sydney