Getting Married

Getting Married in Australia

The marriageable age in Australia is 18 years, as of 1 August 1991. If the person is under 18 years of age, a court order must be obtained.

By law, intending couples must complete and lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form along to the Marriage Celebrant at least 1 month prior to your wedding day. If you do not meet the 1 month waiting period, you may apply for an exemption at the Registry of Birth Death & Marriages (BDM) for their approval before your Celebrant can marry you.  There is no extra fee is charge by the Celebrant or BDM for this exemption.  However you must have seen the Celebrant to complete the NOIM and obtain their letter before you seek BDM’s approval.

It is important to remember that if your marriage was conducted by the Celebrant less than 1 month waiting period without the prescribed authory’s approval, it can be voided by law.


The following documents are required from both the Bride and Groom.

  • Age - If born in Australia, a full Australian Birth Certificate must be provided. If this is not available, a Statutory Declaration must be made. For individuals born outside of Australia, a foreign birth certificate or a valid overseas passport must be provided.
  • Previous Marriage (s) - If you have been married on a previous occasion, you must provide evidence of the termination of said prior marriage.

-If divorced, provide a Certificate of Decree Absolute.
-If widowed, provide a full Death Certificate.

Please ensure all foreign documents are translated into English by an authorised interpreter. Photocopies are not acceptable.



The notice can be signed in the presence of any of the following people:

  •   If signed in Australia: An authorised celebrant, a justice of peace, a barrister or solicitor, a legally qualified medical practitioner, a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, or a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or Territory.
  •  If signed outside Australia: An Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular Officer, an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3 (c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955 or a notary public.

Once completed and signed, please fax a copy (or email a scanned copy) to us, no later than 1 month and 1 day before the wedding date, then mail the original by Registered post.


On your wedding day, you will need two witnesses of who are over 18 years of age. These witnesses will sign the Marriage Register and the Marriage Certificates with the Bride, Groom and the Marriage Celebrant following the ceremony.


It is my responsibility to register your marriage within 14 days from your wedding day; however my turnaround time to register the married couple is 1-2 days. Once your marriage has been registered, you will be given a Marriage Registration Number provided by the appropriate Registry of Birth, Death and Marriages in Australia..


Copyright © 2013 Maria Nguyen - MN Marriage Celebrant - Vietnamese Marriage Celebrant Sydney